In the September 2011 issue of Seattle magazine, the Northwest Home section offers the Top 10 Design Trends of the last decade. I just had to share this fun list!
1. Open Floor Plan – Get rid of those walls in favor of a more open living space.
2. Green – Adding “green” features to your home – solar panels, repurposed or recycled materials, etc. – reduces your carbon footprint while making your home uniquely you.
3. Small Spaces – Make the most of small spaces by downsizing and living a simpler life.
4. Urban Infill – Make the most of urban spaces by not squandering any land.
5. Outdoor Living – Despite our frequently gloomy forecasts, we love bringing the outdoors in year-round with decks, patios, sun porches and more.
6. Wall Coverings – It’s not your grandmother’s wallpaper! Anything goes.
7. Live/Work Spaces – Our work and personal lives are often intertwined. Make the most by creating efficient but attractive spaces.
8. Mid-Century Modern – We’re loving this style which mixes retro styles from the 1950s with today’s modern flair.
9. Cottages – Cottage-style homes are a great way to feel at home, even in the big city.
10. Movable Walls – Movable walls are a creative way to change your living space or create indoor/outdoor space with a minimum of effort!